Summer is fast approaching, vacations and road trips are almost a staple for everyone to get away from their busy lives. Spend on that upgraded vacation package instead of unecessary car rental charges. Here's 5 simple tips to avoid those extra car rental charges:
NAC members also gain access to car rental discounts to make your vacation dollars go even further.
Join today to find out how we can improve that vacation!
- Don't buy extra insurance that you don't need. Check with your own insurance policy as some already cover collision damage and personal liability when using a rental car. Paying for a rental car with your credit card may also provide secondary collision coverage.
- Don't rent from an airport. Renting directly from the airport usually includes airport surcharges. Look for an off-airport car rental company. They usually provide shuttle transportation to and from the airport and won't have to deal with large crowds.
- Don't pay extra for GPS. Typical charges for GPS are about $10 per day or more. Most smart phones today have a GPS or mapping service available to help you get to your destination. It may sound archaic, but printing out those directions beforehand works just as well.
- Take your time through inspections. Rushing through inspections may end up missing out on prior damages and you have to foot the bill for it. Regardless of how small that ding or scratch is that you see, make sure to point it out prior to agreeing to the rental.
- Returning the car late. Make sure you read the car rental's policy if there's a grace time from the deadline. Try to allow for plenty of time in case the unexpected happens.